“The friendliest mall of all” opened in 1967. It was built by Richard Buchholzer and Forest City Enterprises on land once owned by Richard’s father, who owned Hower’s department store in downtown Akron. When Richard was a boy, he discovered an old Indian council circle on his father’s land, prompting him years later to name his mall development “Chapel Hill.”
In 1994, the mall added a food court, a fountain and additional retail space. That addition also included upgrades to the mall’s flooring, ceiling and lighting.
The mall housed a multi-screen theater from 1966 to 1996, when a 10-screen Regal Cinema was built south of the mall.
We take security seriously because we want you to have a safe and trouble-free shopping experience. If you need help or would like an escort to the parking lot, please don’t hesitate to call 330-815-7171.
Shopping Safety Tips
Before entering the mall:
- Lock your car and make a note of where you parked
- Arrange a time and place to meet family and friends
- Teach children their full name as well as yours.
While in the mall:
- Keep children close at all times and notify mall security if they wander off.
- Carry current pictures of your children.
- Don’t leave personal items or packages unattended.
- Guard your handbag, wallet and credit cards…don’t flash your cash.
Leaving the mall:
- Be aware of your surroundings and report anything suspicious to mall security.
- Always have keys in hand before you reach your car.
- Check from a distance to make sure no one is loitering near your car.
- Always lock your car doors as soon as you get inside.
- Never hesitate to ask mall security of assistance.
Behavioral Code of Conduct
- WEAR APPROPRIATE CLOTHING. NO SAGGING PANTS, REVEALING OR INAPPROPRIATE, OBSCENE OR OTHERWISE OFFENSIVE CLOTHING
- NO PETS ALLOWED EXCEPT SERVICE ANIMALS
- POSSESSION OF ALCOHOLIC BEVERAGES OR ILLEGAL DRUGS IS PROHIBITED IN ANY AREA OF MALL PROPERTY
- NO WEAPONS
- NO FOUL LANGUAGE, ETHNIC SLURS OR OFFENSIVE GESTURES OR SEXUALLY EXPLICIT ACTIVITIES
- NO SOLICITATION
- NO GANG ACTIVITY, VIOLENCE OR ANNOYING BEHAVIOR, THREATS OF VIOLENCE, YELLING, FIGHTING, PHYSICAL OR VERBAL ABUSE OF ANY KIND.
- NO PLAYING MUSICAL INSTRUMENTS OR RADIOS OR OTHER SOUND GENERATING EQUIPMENT WITHOUT EXPRESS PERMISSION FROM MALL MANAGEMENT.
- NO WRESTLING, HORSEPLAY, SKATING, SKATE BOARDING, ROLLERBLADING AND/OR RIDING A SCOOTER OR OTHERWISE BEING DISRUPTIVE OR CREATING A DISTURBANCE OBSTRUCTING OR INTERFERING WITH THE FREE FLOW OF PEDESTRIAN OR VEHICULAR TRAFFIC
- ASSEMBLING, DEMONSTRATING, PICKETING, OR LOITERING FOR THE PURPOSE OF DISTURBING THE PEACE OR ANY UNLAWFUL PURPOSE
- NO SOLICITATION OR DISTRIBUTING MATERIAL OF ANY KIND
- NO DEFACING, DESTROYING AND DAMAGING ANY REAL OR PERSONAL PROPERTY
RULES SUBJECT TO CHANGE WITHOUT NOTICE AT THE DISCRETION OF MALL MANAGEMENT.